Friday, May 27, 2011

Hunting for a Job?

Searching for a job is much like a hunter looking for his next kill. You have to gather and hone in all of your skills to be a success. A job much like an animal you may be hunting will not simply fall into your lap. You have to have a plan of attack and you have to stay vigilant until it is in your sights.

I am a lone hunter not of animals but of prospective positions where I can start where I left off with my last full time employment almost a year ago. I used to make a great salary for a 25 year old male fresh out of graduate school. To me sixety thousand dollars was acceptable. My friends in the same field with less previous work experience were making seventy or more down in Washington, D.C.

There are many tools at my disposal for the search I use a multitude of job search engines such as Monster, CareerBuilder, Dice, Indeed, SimplyHired and many others. Sometimes I think this does more harm than it does good. I get a lot of misleading phone calls for jobs that I do not even qualify for. At times I feel as though I am just a quota filler. That they need a particular number of applicants for a reason ill never fully understand. I am hunting for a job that will put me in a similar position to the one I once held.

A hunter cannot be stubborn and I fight with this idea daily. A true hunter is one who hunts for food for a meal and one cannot wait for the porter house steak if all you can find is a rabbit stew. One will satisfy you for a few days while the other will suffice for the time being. I wish for me this was the case. I am told I am over qualified or that my past salary was too high for me to accept a job that pays only forty thousand dollars a year. What they do not understand is that I am living off of my savings and it is running out and I will accept any job. How can I share that while at the same time being told they do not want to hire me?

It is a very confusing time for a job hunter. You find what you would accept and you become humble only to be shot down and rejected? They wont hire me for a forty thousand a year job but I could most likely get an hourly job at the mall? I do not understand how this make sense. However one thing that does help is following up. I make sure that I call back people I have not heard from in a week. Typically common courtesy gets thrown out the window they do not care about you or your feelings. They say sorry the position has been filled and more often then not I want to say why the hell didnt you tell me, send a letter, an email anything?

Common courtesy has become a very uncommon practice in modern society especially during a job hunt. They only care about the bottom line and their own paycheck. Courtesy costs them time and their time is more important than your time. So I say I am not going to be shy I will call them and have closure at the very least I can continue my hunt another day. So stay vigilant and do not give up, I know I wont.

No comments:

Post a Comment